S. 3542- The Drone Act, was introduced by Senators Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Mark Kelly (D-AZ), and Bill Cassidy (R-LA). The bipartisan legislation would criminalize certain uses of drones, such as attaching weapons, smuggling drugs, or other similar criminal uses.
The Drone Act would expand the list of drone-related criminal offenses and make them punishable with a $250,000 fine or a prison sentence. The additional drone criminal offenses include:
- Attach a firearm, explosive or other dangerous weapon to a drone
- Using a drone to cause serious bodily injury or death to a person, or causing damage to property
- Interfering with a law enforcement activity
- Transporting contraband with a drone
- Crossing the U.S. border with a drone
There are no noted distribution statements or limitations of this publicly available government information.