The FAA has approved four companies to provide B4UFLY services through desktop and mobile applications to provide critical situational awareness capabilities to drone pilots and enthusiasts. The B4UFLY application provides important pre-takeoff information, such as where drone pilots can and can not fly.
Key features of B4UFLY include:
- Information about controlled airspace, special use airspace, critical infrastructure, airports, national parks and military training routes
- Information about Temporary Flight Restrictions for special events.
- A clear status indicator informs the operator whether it is safe to fly.
- For example, an indicator shows that flying in the Special Flight Rules Area around Washington, D.C., is prohibited.
- Informative, interactive maps with filtering options.
- The ability to check whether it is safe to fly in different locations by searching for a location or moving the location pin.
- Links to other FAA drone resources.